The Symposium will be hosted at the
Rudolf Virchow Center
University of Würzburg
Josef-Schneider-Str. 2, Haus D15
D-97080 Würzburg, Germany
Würzburg is a city in Franconia, a region located in northern Bavaria, Germany. It is beautifully located at the river Main. Würzburg is the local capital city of lower Franconia.
One of the first settlements date back to the Bronze Age, whereas they were located at the site of river main where later the Fortress Marienberg refuge castle was build. So, this first settlements can be assigned to the Celtic tribes. Later in the 5th to 6th century the Alamanni and Franks came to the territory and settled down. The Christianization begun in 686 and was initialized by Irish missionaries.
One of the missionaries’ name was Kilian who is a patron saint of the city.
The first diocese was founded in the 8th century. Since the foundation on the bishopry in 742, Würzburg has been the clerical center of the area. During the Peasant's Revolt in 1525 the town sided with the peasants, who tried unsuccessfully to storm the fortress. This sealed the fate of Würzburg's famous woodcarver, alderman and mayor, Tilman Riemenschneider. In the following decades strong clerico-worldly sovereigns ruled the town, among them prince-bishop Julius Echter of Mespelbrunn. The town reached its zenith under the leadership of the art loving family of Schönborn. For them, Balthasar Neumann built the "castle of castles" - the Residenz - between 1720 and 1744 including the famous staircase, where the Venetian Giovanni Battista Tiepolo created the world's largest ceiling fresco. After various political quarrels Würzburg became Bavarian in 1814. On March, 16th, 1945 the town was almost completely destroyed within 17 minutes. She owes her reconstruction to the extreme engagement of her inhabitants. Today Würzburg has 134.000 inhabitants, is the Unterfranken county seat and a young and lively city with around 30.000 students. The surrounding vineyards, the river Main and many sightseeing points invite you to saunter around.
The universities history is a long story and connected to the clerical world of the Prince-Bishop. The first foundation dates to 1402. Related to this first foundation the Julius-Maximilians-Universität (JMU) belongs to the group of the four oldest universities in the todays area of Germany. The permanent foundation of the university was in 1582 and initiated by the Prince-Bishop Julius Echter von Mespelbrunn. In her long history many famous scientists have researched in Würzburg. In total 14 Nobel Laureates can be associated with the JMU. In the field of chemistry five our scientists can be found within this selected group: Emil Fischer, Svanthe Arrhenius, Eduard Buchner, Walther Nernst and Ernst Michel.