IUPAB - BSC Full Program Booklet
You will find on this page logistical information about the Joint 7th Annual Biophysical Society of Canada/IUPAB Ion Channel Biophysics Meeting.
Please come pick up your conference badge and booklet at the Registration desk, next to the main auditorium in the CRX-Learning Crossroads building (see maps below). Registration desk for IUPAB participants is open Monday May 23 starting 8am; for BSC participants Wednesday May 25 starting 8am.
Hours of registration:
- Monday May 23 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Tuesday May 24 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Wednesday May 25 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- Thursday May 26 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Email us at BSC2022@uOttawa.ca or IUPAB2022@uOttawa.ca, if you have questions about your registration.
Scroll below to find information on:
- COVID & Mask Policy
- Food options for lunch
- Poster sessions
- Accessibility and Inclusion
COVID Information and Face Masking Requirements
Learning Crossroads (CRX) is a new building with modern ventilation. The organizers chose this location for the IUPAB - BSC conference because the lobby, where the coffee breaks and poster sessions will take place, is spacious with high ceilings. The conference auditorium (CRX-C140) seats 350 people and is thus much larger than required for the IUPAB - BSC conference. This will ensure that there is ample spacing for attendees during the conference lectures. To ensure the safety of those on campus, the University of Ottawa has extended its current mandatory masking policy until the end of May. Wearing a mask is always mandatory, except when seated to eat. You can find more information here: https://www.uottawa.ca/coronavirus/en/be-part-of-a-safe-return. The organizers ask that all attendees adhere to the masking policy in consideration of the health and safety of fellow attendees.
COVID Testing: Countries, such as the United States of America, require a negative COVID test prior to boarding your return flight. Pre-travel testing is NOT available at the Ottawa International Airport. Below are private providers that offer pre-travel clearance tests. For more information, including clickable links, go to https://yow.ca/en/recovery.
- Appletree Medical Clinic
- Bridle Path Pharmasave
- MD Connected/JC Health
- PCR Travel Test Ontario
- Riverside Travel Medical Clinic
- Shoppers Drug Mart
Rapid antigen screening is available at the Shoppers Drug Mart located in the Rideau Center, a short walk from CRX. PCR Travel Test Ontario offers a range of tests (rapid antigen, expedited RT-PCR and regular RT-PCR), but is a 15-minute drive from CRX. Please make yourself aware of the testing requirements for your return travel and, if required, book the appropriate test well in advance of your return flight. You can use the above links to book an appointment for the appropriate test. Especially for Shoppers Drug Mart, make sure that you choose the Rideau Center location.
Map of the University Ottawa main campus. The conference is taking place in the CRX Learning Crossroads (100 Louis-Pasteur Private). Click the link to access is an interactive map of the campus.
Floor map of the ground floor of the CRX Learning Crossroads (100 Louis-Pasteur Private) where the conference is taking place. Posters, exhibitors, coffee breaks are all located in the main open area of the ground floor of CRX. All talks except those at the Trainee Symposium, are in the main auditorium in CRX-140.
Food Options for Lunch
We have organized the meeting to give you a 2 hour break for lunch, giving you time to go out of campus for lunch. Note that searching “restaurants near me” on google maps will give you many options close to campus. Due to the pandemic, several of the options on campus are closed. We recommend going off campus into either the adjacent Sandy Hill area (Zone 1 on the map below) or going to Elgin street by taking the pedestrian bridge over the Rideau canal (Zone 2) or taking the O-Train to the Byward Market (Zone 3 – also walking distance) via the Rideau train stop (1 stop from campus), where you will find over 70 options!
Zone 1 – uO & Sandy Hill (within 1 km):
- [on campus] Première Moisson - Social Sciences Building - 120 University Private, Ottawa, ON K1N 6N5
- [on campus] Le Bac à frites (Foodtruck) - 56 University Private
- Freshii - 50 Laurier Ave. E
- Subway - 50 Laurier Ave. E & 231 Laurier Ave. E
- Father & Sons Restaurant - 112 Osgoode St.
- 3 Brothers Shawarma & Poutine - 124 Osgoode St.
- No Forks Given - 191 Rue Somerset St. E
- In’s Kitchen - 1-65 Templeton St.
- CoCo Fresh Tea & Juice - 218 Laurier Ave. E.
- Second Cup Café - 153 Laurier Ave. E.
Zone 2 – Elgin Street (~15 min walk thru the pedestrian bridge next to the O-train station):
- Johnny Farina - 216 Elgin St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1L7
- Zak's Diner Elgin St - 220 Elgin St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1L7
- Sir John A Pub - 284 Elgin St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1M3
- PI·RHO Grill - 346 Elgin St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1M5
- Pure Kitchen Elgin - 340 Elgin St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1M5
Zone 3 – Byward Market (<10 min by O-Train, ~20 min walk):
- Check out over 70 options here: https://www.byward-market.com/
Map for food options
Poster Session Information
The poster sessions will take place in the lobby of CRX - Learning Crossroads as shown in the Conference map above. Please prepare your poster to fit the 4'x 4' poster boards. Push pins will be provided. Posters are numbered and you should put up your poster on the poster board associated with your poster.
Poster viewing will be held during lunch breaks and/or coffee breaks. The main catered BSC poster session with poster judging will be Wednesday evening, May 25th, from 6:10 PM to 9:00 PM. You can browse through the posters' abstracts under the Presentations tab in the top menu.
- IUPAB: The poster boards for the IUPAB meeting will be available on the morning of Monday, May 23rd. IUPAB posters should remain in place until noon on Wednesday May 25th. The numbering of the IUPAB posters is listed on page 30 of the PDF of the full program (abstracts are on the conference website).
- BSC: The boards for the BSC posters will be available by noon on Wednesday, May 25th, although many will be empty earlier. BSC posters should remain in place until noon on Friday, May 27th. The numbering of the BSC posters is listed on page 31 of the full program (abstracts on the conference website). Presenters with odd-numbered posters should be at their posters from 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM. Presenters with even-numbered posters should be at their posters from 7:30 PM to 8:30 PM. Everyone is welcome to visit posters at their leisure.
Accessibility and Inclusion
- Accessibility & Parenting Resources: If you have disability-related accommodation needs or parenting-resources needs, please contact Vincent Tabard-Cossa (firstname.lastname@example.org) to work with you to make appropriate arrangements. This may include, for example, information about accessible services on campus
- Washroom Inclusivity: A list of washrooms that are inclusive to all, regardless of gender identity: https://www.uottawa.ca/respect/accessibility-hub/available-washrooms-all-regardless-gender-identity
- Multi-faith Spaces at uOttawa:https://www.uottawa.ca/respect/accessibility-hub/Multi-faith_spaces
- Campus Maps: Campus maps with directions, parking, buildings, accessibility, etc.: https://maps.uottawa.ca/
- IUPAB - BSC Mixer: Tuesday May 24, 5:30 PM - 8:00 PM at the Aulde Dubliner & Pour House, 62 William St in the Byward Market
- Banquet: Thursday May 26, 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM at the Side Door Restaurant, 18b York St. in the Byward Market
- Closing Reception: Weather permitting, those interested will meet for an informal gathering on the patio for drinks and/or dinner at Social, 537 Sussex Dr. in the Byward Market from 5:30 to 8:00 PM. The patio is in the courtyard adjacent to the Side Door Restaurant.
The University of Ottawa campus is located minutes walk from downtown Ottawa where there are many hotel options. Below are some hotels within walking distance of uOttawa. Accommodations are also available at uOttawa:
UOTTAWA 90U STUDENT RESIDENCE
Each guest is responsible for paying for their guestroom accommodation and for complying with individual guest accommodation conditions. You must use the promotional code BSC2022 (the code will be active on March 29) to receive the discounted room rate of $126 + taxes - this rate is for a two-bedroom suite. Failure to use the promotional code at the time of making the reservation will result in you being charged the regular rate. The uOttawa residence will not be able to refund the difference.
To reserve, go to https://www.accommodation.uottawa.ca/. Enter the Promotional Code: BSC2022 (active on March 29). Select the dates between May 22-28, 2022. Please include the additional guest name at the time of the reservation.
The cut-off date for reservations is May 1st, 2022. Reservation requests received after this date will be based on availability at our prevailing rates. Guests are free to contact our front desk staff anytime, toll free at 1-888-564-4545 for any issues with the promotional code, questions and/or concerns prior to their arrival. Accessible rooms: client should contact us directly by phone.
Parking is available on campus at an additional cost, please see guest parking available on campus by visiting our web site. The City of Ottawa also operates several parking lots. Visit their website to get a list of the parking lots municipally operated in Ottawa.
CARTIER PLACE SUITE HOTEL
180 Cooper St, Ottawa, ON K2P 2L5 • +1 800-236-8399
33 Nicholas St, Ottawa, ON K1N 9M7 • (613) 230-3033
To book a room at the preferred conference rate, please contact Novotel directly at 1-855-677-3033 and either ask for the Biophysical Society of Canada AGM block or quote booking code 1086952.
OTTAWA EMBASSY HOTEL AND SUITES
25 Cartier St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1J2 • (613) 237-2111
185 Daly Ave, Ottawa, ON K1N 6E8 • (613) 237-6089