Visa Information:

A work-permit exemption is available for invited visitors attending a single conference or a seminar of 5 consecutive days or less in Canada. However, you will be considered a visitor to Canada and must meet the entry requirements for travellers from your country of citizenship.

We encouraged you to refer to the immigration information on the Université Laval website

To qualify for a work permit exemption you must meet the following criteria:

1. Procedure for an electronic travel authorization (eTA)

2. Procedure for a visa

Documents to have on hand for a work permit exemption:

Please print this document and follow the instructions to prepare for going through Canadian customs.

Requirements for entry into Canada as a visitor:

Canadian citizens and permanent residents:

Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, need a valid Canadian passport. American-Canadians can travel with a valid Canadian or U.S. passport.

Canadian permanent residents need a valid permanent resident card or permanent resident travel document.

U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents:

U.S. citizens must carry proper identification such as a valid U.S. passport.

Lawful permanent residents of the United States must show these documents for all methods of travel to Canada:

A complete list of acceptable status documents for lawful permanent residents of the U.S. can be found on the following site.

Citizens of countries other than the United States and Canada:

Please check Immigration Canada's Entry requirements by country or territory website to determine whether you require a Visitor visa.

Visa-exempt travellers will require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to board their flight to Canada. However, these travellers do not need an eTA if entering by land or sea - for instance driving from the U.S. or coming by bus, train, or boat, including cruise ship.

Travellers requiring a visitor visa should consult the Immigration Canada's Visitor visa website

Going through Canadian customs:

Customs clearance is carried out at the first Canadian airport you enter and includes two inspections.

The primary inspection begins with automated kiosks where you must answer a series of questions, cross-check your biometric information (if it has already been collected by Canadian authorities) and take a receipt. Next, you will meet with a border services officer who will request to see your receipt. Important: Even if you are exempt from a work permit, you are still considered a foreign worker under Canadian immigration policies.

During the secondary inspection, you will meet with the immigration services to obtain your work permit or visitor record.

If you have a stopover in Montreal or a flight arriving in Montreal, you must allow enough time before taking the next plane or bus. Significant delays have been observed in recent months.

Government of Canada has reinstated some COVID-19 measures for air travellers from China, Hong Kong and Macao. These travellers must show a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 2 days before their departure to board their flight. See COVID-19: Travel, testing and borders.

Powered by